BELIEVE IT OR NOT, SEPARATION ANXIETY IS A POSITIVE SIGN OF A BABY’S HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT!
Here are the signs to look for
- Separation Anxiety generally begins between 6-18 months of age. At this time your child realizes you leave, but doesn’t understand that you are coming back.
- This anxiety may last several weeks or even months until your child realizes you are not abandoning them.
- Your baby’s overwhelming desire to be close to serves a crucial purpose! Experts agree that this behavior is the basis of your child’s ability to form personal relationships throughout his/her lifetime.
- “You don’t have to stay tethered to your infant until he/she gives you permission to go”. PhD Lela Beckwith,Prof. of Pediatrics at University of California.
- Let your child know that it’s ok to feel nervous. Be honest and let him/her know where your are going and that you will always return.